Sorry, you need to enable JavaScript to visit this website.

Transporter Bridge Icon

Places to get help for asylum seekers

Restrictions are starting to ease, but you must still remember: Hands. Face. Space. Fresh air. Check the current rules.

Organisations who can help

There are lots of community organisations who can help you with things, both before and after the Home Office has made a decision on your asylum claim. Those organisations include:

British Red Cross
British Red Cross, Victoria House, Pearson Way, Stockton, TS17 6PT
Phone number: 01642 702733
Phone number: 0191 273 7961
Red Cross website

John Paul Centre
55 Grange Road, Middlesbrough, TS1 5AU
Phone number: 01642 247831

Justice First
135 Norton Road, Stockton-on-Tees, TS18 2BG
Phone number: 01642 601 122
Justice First website

The Methodist Asylum Project (MAP)
54 Borough Road, Middlesbrough, TS1 2JH
Phone number: 07970 192 841
Methodist Asylum Project website

Migrant Help
Phone number: 0808 8010 503
Migrant Help website

North East Migration Partnership (NEMP)
Middlesbrough Council, Civic Centre, TS1 2RH
North East Migration Partnership website

North of England Refugee Service (NERS)
2 Friars Street, Newcastle upon Tyne, NE1 4AX
Phone number: 0191 245 7301
North of England Refugee Service website

Open Door North East
Melbourne House, Newport Road, Middlesbrough, TS1 5QH
Phone number: 01642 213 634
Open Door North East website


If you are hungry, free food is available from different places at different times every week. The Strategic Cohesion and Migration Manager can tell you where to go, or you can look at the free food list.

Advice and help from Middlesbrough Council

Middlesbrough is home to lots of libraries and Community Hubs. Each of these hubs offers advice and information as well as some computer access.

If you're pregnant or have children

Middlesbrough Council also has a Family Information Service. Lots of information is available there to support you and your family if you have children.

If you have concerns about the safety of a child, please speak to the Middlesbrough Multi-Agency Children's Hub to discuss your concerns.

If you are pregnant, you may be entitled to a maternity grant. If you are an asylum seeker, your maternity grant application has to be made through Migrant Help.


Button to click to get help from the council