Sorry, you need to enable JavaScript to visit this website.

Social Care and Support Icon

Housing - information for veterans

Middlesbrough is now in Tier 3. There are restrictions on some businesses, and meeting people. Get the latest local updates.

Housing is a common concern for military personnel. Moving house is a stressful experience, especially for those leaving Service Family Accommodation, or single soldiers who have been serving abroad.

Veterans' Gateway

Veterans' Gateway is the first point of contact for veterans seeking support.

It's made up of a number of military charities and can put you in touch with organisations who can help further.

Call Veterans' Gateway on 0808 802 1212 (24 hours a day, 365 days a year) or visit the Veterans' Gateway website.

Citizens Advice

Citizens Advice has housing information for people leaving the Armed Forces, veterans and their families. You can use their website to find out about organisations that can help you with your housing needs. You can also find out how to speak to a Citizens Advice advisor who may be able to help you.

Visit the Citizens Advice website.

Joint Service Housing Advice Office

If you're leaving the Armed Forces, you have the right to help with finding somewhere to live. You can get help through the Joint Service Housing Advice Office (JSHAO).

They provide information and advice for you and your dependants, especially if you're about to return to civilian life.

If you're a veteran currently living in Armed Forces housing, they can help you move out and find a civilian home.

Joint Service Housing Advice Office
Montgomery House
Queen's Avenue
GU11 2JN

Phone: 01252 787574

Visit the JSHAO website.

Getting help with housing

If you are a veteran, you can get help to find somewhere to live from your local council. They can give you free advice on housing options, and advice if you are homeless or threatened with homelessness.

Social housing providers

Provider Phone Address/website
Accent Group 0845 678 0573 202 Linthorpe Road, Middlesbrough, TS1 3QW
Anchor/Hanover 0808 102 6798 Anchor website
Guinness Northern Counties 0303 123 1890 Guinness website
Habinteg Housing Association 0300 365 3100 Habinteg website
Home Group 0345 141 4663 Home Group website
Housing 21 0370 192 4000 Housing 21 website
North Star Housing Group Ltd 0300 011 0011 Endeavour House, St. Marks Court, Thornaby, TS17 6QN
Places for People 0845 850 9571 Places for People website
Thirteen 0300 111 1000

2 Hudson Quay, Windward Way, Middlesbrough, TS2 1QG

Thirteen Housing website

Tees Valley Lettings Partnership (formerly Compass Choice Based Lettings)

The Compass Lettings Scheme will be replaced by the Tees Valley Lettings Partnership, with a new digital lettings platform to replace the existing Compass Choice Based Lettings system, later this year. This will be known as the 'Tees Valley Home Finder' and will be implemented alongside a new Common Allocations Policy. The new Tees Valley Home Finder will also advertise available properties from a variety of other landlords, including Thirteen. This platform will offer a wide range of rental properties with no bond required, affordable rent, low cost home ownership, home swaps, and accredited private rented homes throughout the Tees Valley.

When you register an application, you'll be assessed based on the information you've provided, and placed into one of five bands, depending on your level of housing need. Band 1 is the highest and Band 5 the lowest. People leaving the Armed Forces are automatically placed in Band 1, with the Tees Valley Lettings Partnership and MyThirteen applicants coming from the Armed Forces given Band 2 status (which is still a priority band).

Thirteen left the Compass Lettings Scheme (Tees Valley Lettings Partnership) on 9 November 2020, but they still advertise a percentage of their empty homes via TVLP (Compass). The 'MyThirteen' digital lettings platform allows existing Thirteen customers more access to the services they deliver, and they will advertise their vacant properties using this platform, alongside a new Lettings Policy. 50% of their vacancies will be advertised via MyThirteen, with the other 50% being passed to the Tees Valley Letting Partnership (TVLP) to advertise and nominate customers. Get more information on MyThirteen.

Homeless and Housing Advice Team

Homelessness services in Middlesbrough are now provided by Middlesbrough Council. The Homeless and Housing Advice Team can give you help and advice if you're homeless or at risk of homelessness.

The first step to getting help is to call the Homeless and Housing Advice Team on 01642 726800.

Riverside Housing

Riverside Housing provides single person’s accommodation and a number of other support services for single, homeless veterans in the Tees Valley area. The 20 furnished flats at Hardwick House in Middlesbrough are a safe and secure environment. They offer single veterans up to 18 months' support to help them transition into permanent housing and employment.

All referrals to Hardwick House are via SPACES (Single Persons Accommodation Centre for the Ex-Services). They can be contacted on 01748 833797 / 01748 872940 / 01748 830191 or by email to

Find out more about SPACES.


Shelter helps millions of people every year struggling with bad housing or homelessness through their advice, support, and legal services.

Get housing advice from Shelter.


Stoll provides affordable, high-quality housing and support services to enable vulnerable and disabled veterans to lead fulfilling, independent lives.

For more information, call 020 7385 2110 or visit the Stoll website.

Haig Housing

Haig Housing provides housing assistance to ex-service people and/or their dependants.

They let general needs homes to the ex-service community at affordable rents, and provide tailored housing solutions to suit the individual needs of severely wounded and disabled veterans.

Haig Housing also offers a wide range of housing advice to the service community, and is the strategic housing partner of Help for Heroes.

For more information, call 020 8685 5777 or visit the Haig Housing website.

Royal British Legion

The Royal British Legion offers advice and information through their phone helpline, online live chat, email, and their website ‘knowledge’ database

For more information, call 0808 802 8080 or visit the Royal British Legion website.

The Officers' Association

The Officers’ Association provides support and advice to former officers and their dependents on a variety of matters including employment, finances, housing, health, wellbeing, volunteering, and maintaining a social life

For more information, call 020 7808 4175 or visit the Officers' Association website.

Report it