Under the Freedom of Information Act 2000, anyone can make a request to the council for information, and they must be:
- informed of whether the council holds that information
- supplied with that information (subject to exemptions) within 20 working days following receipt of the request.
Before making a request, you must check that:
- the information isn't already available anywhere on this website. The open data section may contain the information you need. You can also use the search function, A-Z of services, or browse the site to find the information.
- the information isn't contained in our publication scheme.
Setting out your request
Your request should clearly set out the information you want.
Be clear: if we aren't sure what you want, we'll have to ask you for further clarification, which will delay your request.
Be precise: in some cases your request may be refused if it would be too expensive or time consuming for us to deal with.
Don't ask for opinions: Freedom of Information disclosures only apply to factual information we hold - describing something is a matter of opinion or interpretation, and isn't classed as information held.
Say how you'd prefer to receive the information: for example, electronically or as a hard copy (if available).
Examples of FOI requests
|Good examples||Bad examples|
How much did the council spend on refurbishing its offices in the financial year 2010/11?
Please send me information on the refurbishment of the office.
Please send me your policies and internal guidelines on customer services, and a copy of your complaints procedure.
Why does the council seem to think it is acceptable to treat its customers badly?
Make a request
Please read the guidance notes before making a request.
To make a request, you can:
- use the online FOI request form
- send an email to email@example.com
- download a request form and return to the following address:
Information & Compliance Officer
Finance, Governance & Support
PO Box 500
If you have any queries before you submit your information request, please contact the Information Compliance Team on 01642 729696.
You should not use a Freedom of Information request to find out what personal information the council holds about you. You'll need to use a Subject Access Request form, available under the Data Protection Act 1998. This request is also subject to certain exemptions.
Outcome of your request
If you're not happy with the outcome of your request, you can ask for an internal review within 40 days of receiving the response.
Internal reviews will be carried out by the Corporate Strategy Manager, who won't have been involved in your initial request. A response will be provided within 20 working days.
To request an internal review, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
or write to:
Corporate Strategy Manager
PO Box 500