Sorry, you need to enable JavaScript to visit this website.

Special Education Needs

Children Missing Education

All councils are legally responsible for identifying children who are missing from education (CME), and pupils at risk of missing education.

What are children missing from education?

This applies to children of compulsory school age who aren't enrolled at a school, and aren't getting another suitable form of education in place of being at school (for example, being educated at home, privately, or in alternative provision).

What does the council do about children missing from education?

In Middlesbrough, the Access to Education service is responsible for children who are missing from education. The team uses a proactive system for finding information about CME, to trace and ensure the return of children to education.

The CME Officer monitors information given to the council by parents, schools, and other agencies about children missing from education, for example, excluded pupils, children whose families are seeking a school place, and pupils not enrolled at a school for other reasons.

How do I report a child missing from education?

To report a child missing from education, or at risk of being missing from education, please contact:

David Lister
CME Contact Officer
Phone: 01642 729286
Post: Middlesbrough House, Corporation Road, Middlesbrough, TS1 1LT

Samantha Elliott
Access to Education Officer
Phone: 01642 201926
Post: Middlesbrough House, Corporation Road, Middlesbrough, TS1 1LT

Robert Douglas
Access to Education Assistant
Phone: 01642 729489
Post: Middlesbrough House, Corporation Road, Middlesbrough, TS1 1LT

Guidance on children missing from education or at risk of missing education is available for schools, academies, and other agencies.