Sorry, you need to enable JavaScript to visit this website.

Special Education Needs

Home to school transport

As a parent, you're legally responsible for making sure your child attends school. In some cases, we (the council) can offer some pupils help with travel between home and school.


Your child may qualify for home to school travel assistance if they:

  • live too far away from their nearest eligible school to walk (primary age pupils who live more than 2 miles from their nearest eligible school, or secondary age pupils who live more than 3 miles from their nearest eligible school)
  • can't walk to school because there is no suitable safe walking route
  • can't walk to school because of a special need, disability, or mobility problem
  • are from a low income family (where the pupil is entitled to free school meals, or parents receive the maximum level of Working Tax Credit, or parents receive Universal Credit of £7,400 or under), where a preference has been expressed to attend a school other than the nearest available school, and that school is over 2 miles away, and is one of the 3 closest schools

Support provided

If your application for travel assistance is approved, we'll tell you what type of assistance your child will get. This can vary, and may include a bus pass for a dedicated school bus, or money paid every term to cover the cost of getting public transport.

For some pupils attending special schools or support bases in mainstream schools, we may contract taxi operators or minibus suppliers to provide the home to school transport.

How to apply - new applications

If you think your child may qualify for transport assistance, please complete the 'EIA application form 2021-2022' below, and return it to

You can find the application forms for the appropriate academic year below. They should be completed in full and returned to us, including any required evidence to support your application.

What happens next

An application (including all required evidence to prove your child's eligibility) may take up to 6 weeks to be processed from the date we receive it, if it is complete.

If your application does not include the necessary evidence to prove your child is eligible for travel assistance, the application will be refused.

If your application is approved, we'll email you to confirm the type of travel assistance which will be offered. We'll include any documents we need you to complete and return to us. Any delay in returning these documents will affect the start date of any travel assistance.

Travel assistance renewals - 2021-2022

Any students who received travel assistance in the academic year 2020-2021 are subject to an automatic renewal for the academic year 2021-2022. Please email the student's name, date of birth, address (including postcode), parent's email address, and school they'll be attending in September 2021, to

If your child travels on a dedicated school bus, they'll need a new bus pass to travel from September 2021. We'll send you the bus pass application form once you've sent us the information above. Complete the form and send it back to us by email, along with a recent photo of your child, so we can issue a valid bus pass.

If we do not receive your form and photo until after 24 August 2021, this may result in the bus pass not being issued in time for the start of the September 2021 term. It is a parent/carer's legal responsibility to ensure that their child attends school.

Any change of circumstances, for example, a change of address, change of school etc., will affect your child's eligibility, and they will not be eligible for an automatic renewal. You'll need to submit a new application for the correct year group for your child.

No valid pass, no travel

No face covering, no travel (unless medically exempt)

Academic year 2022-2023

We assess eligibility for home to school travel assistance annually.

It is a parent/carer's responsibility to ensure that their child’s application for travel assistance is renewed. You'll be able to do this by using the online form which will be available on this page from April 2022. More information about the deadline for returning applications will be available at the time.  

If you have any questions about home to school travel assistance, please email


To reduce the risk of coronavirus spreading, the Integrated Transport Unit is not able to deal with face-to-face enquiries. Please do not try to visit Resolution House to speak to us during this time. You can get in touch with us by email:

  • For students who attend a special school, college, base unit, setting, or have an EHCP/SEND needs, please email
  • For students who attend a mainstream school and your query is about travel assistance, please email

Integrated Transport Unit
Ground Floor
Resolution House
Cargo Fleet Lane

Office hours: Monday to Friday, 8am to 4pm (not including Bank Holidays)

Downloads and more information