Sorry, you need to enable JavaScript to visit this website.

Social Care and Support Icon

Help with your rent or Council Tax

Help with your rent

If you're getting Universal Credit

Are you getting Universal Credit, living in rented accommodation, and struggling to pay your rent?

You might be able to get help with your housing costs through your Universal Credit claim.

Find out more and apply on GOV.UK.

If you're not getting Universal Credit

If you're of pension age, you might be able to get help with your rent through the Housing Benefit scheme.

Find out more and apply in the Housing Benefit section.

A small number of people who are of working age might still be able to claim Housing Benefit. If you need help with your rent, find out if you should be asking for help through Universal Credit or Housing Benefit.

Extra help with your rent

If you live in rented accommodation and you're struggling to pay your rent, you might be able to get extra help through the Discretionary Housing Payment scheme. You can apply if you're getting either Housing Benefit or Universal Credit (housing element), and your benefit payment is less than the amount of rent you need to pay.

Find out more and apply for a Discretionary Housing Payment now.

Help with your Council Tax

If you have to pay Council Tax, the Council Tax Reduction scheme can help to reduce the amount you have to pay. The scheme is for Council Tax payers on low incomes, including those who work. You must claim Council Tax Reduction even if you're getting Universal Credit. Payments are made from the Monday after you apply, so you should make your application as soon as possible.

Find out more and apply for Council Tax Reduction.

Help with household costs

Are you struggling to pay all your bills as well as buying food and paying for gas and electric? Find out what help you can get with your energy bills, and how to get free food or free school meals for your child.

Report it