Who we are
The Ethnic Minority Achievement Team (EMAT) is a team of professionals including teachers, teaching assistants, an educational welfare officer, and a family support worker.
We work with schools to support pupils who speak English as an additional language (EAL), and Traveller, fair and circus pupils, to access high-quality education.
We also work with families who speak English as an additional language to help them to apply for school places for children.
We're a small, professional, and approachable team with many years of experience, and believe that providing a holistic approach to supporting our families is the most effective way to ensure that our EAL and Traveller pupils achieve their potential.
What we do
As a service, we:
- support and promote the educational achievement of BAME students
- welcome International New Arrivals (INA), and support them to access school and educational opportunities
- offer targeted support in-school to promote EAL across the curriculum and support EAL learners to achieve, in partnership with schools
- act as an important link between school and home, attending admissions meetings and providing translation and interpreting services to help with communication between school and home
- provide and promote cultural awareness
- deliver training, including bespoke training packages in school
- assess students' language upon first arrival to accurately identify need, and provide a focus on pupil progression
- attend meetings and network with other professionals working with EAL learners and their families to ensure a co-ordinated approach
- provide in-school support to Traveller, fair and circus students and family liaison to improve attendance and educational opportunities
How we can help
The Ethnic Minority Achievement Team are located in Newport Community Hub and always welcome enquiries via the contact details below.
Do you need help with applying for a school for your child? The Ethnic Minority Achievement Team can help you.
Do you have questions about what school in England is like? We've made a guide to going to school in England.
Schools and education providers
Schools and education providers can subscribe to an annual package to gain access to the services detailed above. Bespoke packages of support can also be provided upon request.
To find out more about the team, and the service provided, please contact:
Ethnic Minority Achievement Team Manager
Phone: 01642 201881 / 01642 728472
Useful documents for schools
The following documents contain information that may be useful for teachers of international new arrivals, or pupils with EAL.