Who we are
The Ethnic Minority Achievement Team (EMAT) is a team of professionals including teachers, teaching assistants, an educational welfare officer and a family support worker. Our aim is to work in partnership with schools to support pupils with English as an additional language (EAL), Traveller, fair and circus pupils to access high-quality education.
We're a small, professional and approachable team with many years of experience, and believe that providing a holistic approach to supporting our families is the most effective way to ensure that our EAL and Traveller pupils achieve their potential.
What we do
As a service, we:
- Welcome International New Arrivals (INA) and support with accessing school and educational opportunities;
- In partnership with schools, we offer targeted support in-school to promote EAL across the curriculum and support EAL learners to achieve;
- Act as an important link between school and home, attending admissions meetings and providing translation and interpreting services to help with communication between school and home;
- Provide and promote cultural awareness;
- Deliver training, including bespoke training packages in school;
- Assess pupils’ language upon first arrival to accurately identify need and provide a focus on pupil progression;
- Attend meetings and network with other professionals working with EAL learners and their families to ensure a co-ordinated approach;
- Provide in-school support to traveller, fair and circus pupils and family liaison to improve attendance and educational opportunities.
Accessing the service
Schools and education providers can subscribe to an annual package to gain access to the services detailed above.
Bespoke packages of support can also be provided upon request.
To find out more about the team, and the service provided, please contact:
Ethnic Minority Achievement Team Manager
Phone: 01642 201881 / 728472
Useful documents for schools
The following documents contain information that may be useful for teachers of international new arrivals, or pupils with EAL.